We are happy to announce that we will once again be hosting a Field Trip to the sand pits of Lake Wales Ridge courtesy of long-time SEGS member Marc Hurst and colleagues at C.C. Calhoun, Inc. This is an opportunity to learn about Plio-Pleistocene Cypresshead Formation sands and do some fulgurite hunting, as previously enjoyed and documented in our 2011, 2017, 2018, and 2019, and 2020 Newsletters, website photo gallery, and SEGS Guidebooks #50 and #70.
The field trip will take place at Pit #7, 3000 Bannon Island Road, Haines City, FL 33844 on January 15th starting at 12:30 PM.
Participation is limited to SEGS members who have paid 2022 dues (and their guests) and geology students. For members, please pay dues and register using our website PayPal button.
Transportation will consist of a caravan; drivers must comply with SEGS Participant Guidelines. Four-wheel drive vehicles are recommended, but not required. Please arrange to carpool with others to minimize the number of vehicles
- We will be asking members to follow all federal, state, and local guidelines to mitigate the spread of Covid-19. We have updated our waivers to reflect the seriousness of the novel disease.
- The sites that we’ll visit are active industrial facilities. Safety glasses (sunglasses), shirts, and closed-toe shoes are required.
- Drinks, sunscreen, and insect repellent are recommended.
- Pets and unaccompanied minors are not allowed at the mine.
- For questions, contact Jonathan Valentine at 813-347-3379 or email@example.com
Registration and Fees
Participation is limited to SEGS members who have paid 2022 dues (and their guests) and geology students. For members, please renew here.
- The price is $10 for current (2022) SEGS members; free students.
- For efficiency, SEGS will be limiting signups to electronic forms only, with manual registration available only on request.
- We are enforcing a hard cut off for event registration on Thursday, January 13th. We won’t be accepting registrations the day of (January 15th) or the day before the event (January 14th).
- At the top of the page, in the dropdown, please select the appropriate option and click “Add to Cart” to register for the trip.
- During checkout, you will be routed to a waiver you can sign electronically, and then to the registration and payment form. Since every participant needs to complete a waiver, you can only register one person at a time, but it’s fast!
- If you have trouble with the electronic registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a manual registration option.
Member or Guest, Student or Minor