When is the last time you visited Florida’s rocky shoreline? Join SEGS coastal geologist Jen Coor and others to visit Blowing Rocks State Park, Bathtub Reef worm reefs, and other coastal localities. Fieldtrip organizers: Jen Coor, Jon Bryan.
Trip Fee and Details
This trip is available to SEGS members, current with 2018 dues. Current SEGS members may bring guests with fee (i.e., guests are not required to join SEGS if accompanying a member). Field trip fee is $30.00, and includes a hardcopy field guide and lunch. Registration is due by 7 December 2018.
Itinerary for Field Trip
Friday, December 14, 2018
- 6:00 pm – meet at Renato’s Italian Ristorante, 3720 Se Ocean Blvd, Stuart, FL 34996
- Dinner, presentations, brief SEGS meeting (discuss elections)
- Presentations on worm reefs by Zack Jud, Ph.D. (Director of Education and Exhibits, Florida Oceanographic Society) and beach nourishment by Jennifer Coor, Ph.D.
Saturday, December 15, 2018
- 7:30 am – meet in hotel parking lot
- 7:45 am – leave hotel parking lot for Ocean Reef Park, Palm Beach County, FL (approximately 1 hour drive)
- Ocean Reef Park, 3860 N Ocean Dr, Riviera Beach, FL 33404
- 9:00 am – begin field trip at Ocean Reef Park
- 10:00 am – leave Ocean Reef Park and go to Nature Conservancy Blowing Rocks (approximately 25 minute drive)
- Nature Conservancy Blowing Rocks, 575 S Beach Rd, Hobe Sound, FL 33455
- 10:30 am – begin field trip at Nature Conservancy Blowing Rocks
- 11:30 am – leave Blowing Rocks and travel to Sailfish Point (approximately 45 minute drive)
- Sailfish Point Golf Club, 2203 Southeast Sailfish Point Boulevard, Stuart, FL 34996
- 12:30 pm – generously provided by Sailfish Point
- 1:30 pm – begin field trip at Sailfish Point
- 2:30 pm – leave Sailfish Point and go to House of Refuge, Martin County, FL (approximately 5 minute drive)
- Bathtub Reef Beach, 1585 SE MacArthur Blvd, Stuart, FL 34996
- 2:45 pm – begin field trip at House of Refuge
- 4:00 pm – end of field trip
SEGS would like to thank Sailfish Point for generously donating Saturday’s lunch!
A block of 15 room has been reserved at the Courtyard by Marriott Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach.
- Sunset View Room $139/night
- Ocean View Room $159/night
A direct link for reservations will be available Monday, November 26, 2018. Reservations should be made as soon as possible – preferably by November 30, 2018. If you make your reservations before Monday, November 26, 2018, please call the hotel and request the group rate for the SEGS event. Rates will be honored 2 days prior to official block date (December 14, 2018) and 3 days after.
- Hotel: Courtyard by Marriott Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
- Address: 10978 S Ocean Dr, Jensen Beach, FL 34957
- Phone: (772) 229-1000
- Link: click here
Age and Safety Restrictions
Children are welcome with completed waiver and accompanying adult. Safety glasses (sunglasses), shirts, and closed-toe shoes are required. Drinks, sunscreen, and insect repellent are recommended.
If you have trouble with the electronic registration, you can manually register by completing and sending this this PDF to email@example.com and then using the information at this link (click here) to pay.
Please select the appropriate option below and click “Purchase” to quickly e-register for the trip. You will be routed to a waiver you can sign electronically, and then to the registration and payment form. Since every participant needs to complete a waiver, you can only register one person at a time, but registration takes just a few minutes. If you have trouble with the e-form, you can register manually using the info in the previous section.